Family Law

Family law is the area of law that deals with matters like divorce, property settlement, childrens’ issues (including who the children live with, visitation rights and guardianship rights), spousal maintenance and annulment of marriage, among other matters.

We all know that relationship breakdown is stressful. It can also be confusing, traumatic and financially crippling if you don’t get the right advice. Skilled, tailored and timely legal advice will ensure you know your obligations and achieve your rights and entitlements.

Hall Payne’s family lawyers have been helping clients achieve good outcomes promptly and cost-effectively for decades. We give trustworthy and practical advice after couples or families part ways.

A lawyer will tell you that you need legal advice for almost everything, but this is one area of life where legal advice will help you no matter what your situation.

The impact a relationship has on your life and the lives of any children you may have, is significant and legal advice means that you’re fully informed when it comes to making important decisions as to what that impact may be. On a practical level, legal advice will also help you to navigate the multiple deadlines and obligations you face, and will help free you from these administrative concerns so you can focus on the wellbeing of your family and yourself.

While we recommend family law legal advice regardless of your situation, there are a number of situations where legal advice is essential, and seeking urgent advice will have an enormous impact on your life moving forward:

  1. When there are children involved or money and property, legal advice will support you in making any decisions that are enforceable.
  2. Where you are seeking a court order or are required to appear before the court for other reasons.
  3. If your partner is selling, using or removing joint assets or has left you with no money or access to joint funds.

Our Family Law Team

Blog Posts - Family Law

Is a Binding Financial Agreement still valid after one party dies?

What happens if I have a Financial Agreement (BFA) and my partner dies?

This blog will explore the effects of death on a Financial Agreement and circumstances in which an agreement may be set aside.

Read more

When your child doesn’t want to spend time with the other parent.

My child does not want to spend time with my ex. Can I force them to?

After separation where there are children of the relationship, it’s important to put plans in place to ensure both parents have equal shared responsibility for the children, except in cases of family violence or child abuse.

Read more

Appealing a domestic violence protection order

Domestic violence Protection Order appeal dismissed by District Court

We recently assisted a client with successfully dismissing a Domestic and Family Violence Appeal in the District Court in February 2020. We represented the Respondent in relation to a Protection Order in the case of MNT v MEE.

Read more

How do I enter into a Binding Financial Agreement?

Types of Binding Financial Agreements (Prenuptial Agreement)

Binding Financial Agreements (BFA) are “financial” agreements used in family law. They are often colloquially known as prenups or prenuptial agreements. BFA’s are entered into prior to, during a marriage or de facto relationship or after a marriage or de facto relationship.

Read more

More Blog Articles  

Speak to one of our experts

1800 659 114

Or fill out the form below to request a callback...