Spousal maintenance

If you have separated from your partner and can’t support yourself reasonably and adequately you can apply for spousal maintenance.

What this means is that your former partner provides support – either as a lump sum or as ongoing payments – to help with your costs of living.

It can be difficult to demonstrate a need for spousal maintenance as well as the level that you should receive, both of which must be demonstrated to a court. For example, variables may include the past or current care of children or one’s ability to work, among other reasons. The financial circumstances of the person requested to pay will be considered too.

Whether you are seeking or responding to a claim for spousal maintenance we recommend you obtain legal advice so you’re able to make your case by giving all components complete consideration.

Our Spousal maintenance Team

Speak to one of our experts

1800 659 114

Or fill out the form below to request a callback...