Motor Vehicle Accidents

Northern Territory

We are personal injury lawyers for motor vehicle accident claims in the Northern Territory. Road accidents are stressful events that happen too often in Australia. The last thing you need is a complicated or hostile insurance process if you make a motor vehicle accident compensation claim.

Hall Payne’s expert compensation lawyers in the Northern Territory can help get you back on track by ensuring you are adequately compensated if things go wrong on the road.

All vehicle owners in Australia pay a premium to a compulsory third party (CTP) insurer as part of their registration fee. This means an injured person – or that person’s family members – can seek compensation from the CTP insurer of the at fault party.

You may be entitled to claim if have been injured in a motor vehicle including a car, truck, motorbike, as a pillion passenger, as a cyclist or a pedestrian.

Insurance legislation can be complicated and rules differ across Australia. Hall Payne’s lawyers are across all relevant aspects so if you’re hurt on the road, seek prompt legal advice with us.

Want to speak with a motor vehicle accident compensation lawyer for the Northern Territory?

You can contact our Darwin office by phone or email to arrange your consultation; either face-to-face at one of our offices, by telephone or by videoconference consultation.

Phone: 08 8943 5100

Or read our FAQ below for more detailed information about claiming compensation after injuries from a road accident in the Northern Territory.

Click through our Motor Vehicle Accident Claims Northern Territory FAQ

Can I represent myself in a motor vehicle accident claim?

You can, but the law related to road accidents is complicated.

A lawyer with experience in this area of law, will know what you’re entitled to, and how best to ensure that you are adequately compensated.

How do I know if I have a claim?

If you’ve been injured in an accident involving a motor vehicle in the Northern Territory you will be covered by the Northern Territory’s Motor Accident Compensation Scheme.

MAC is a government-owned scheme that is managed by the Motor Accidents Compensation Commission (MACC) and administered on its behalf by the Territory Insurance Office.

If a vehicle is not registered or can’t be identified, you can still seek compensation. You also still have an entitlement even if the other vehicle is registered in another state or territory.

If your immediate family member dies as a result of a road accident you may be entitled to claim for funeral expenses and the loss of financial support.

What can I claim for?

The Northern Territory’s Motor Accident Compensation Scheme can provide benefits such as medical, rehabilitation and financial support. There may also be an entitlement to a lump sum payment where permanent injuries were caused by the motor vehicle accident.

Every individual’s claim is different. Your best course of action is speaking to Hall Payne about what compensation is right for you.

When should I make a claim?

Time limits apply, and your entitlement to compensation may be lost if you don’t make a claim in time.

In the Northern Territory the Motor Accidents Compensation Commission has the discretion to reject a claim made more than six months after the accident, and any claim made more than three years after the accident will be rejected.

There are some exceptions. If the injured person is under 18 at the time of the accident, they have until they are 21 to make a claim.

The Commission may also allow out-of-time claims if you can provide a reasonable excuse for the delay.

Hall Payne understand that this can be a very challenging time. Financial stress can make the situation overwhelming. The sooner a claim is started, the sooner you’ll receive compensation (and some peace of mind).

How long will my claim take?

The sooner your claim is finalised, the sooner you can move on with your life. That said, a thoroughly prepared claim can’t be rushed.

The length of your claim will ultimately depend on the nature and extent of your injury, the intricacy of the investigation and the type of expert evidence required.

Call us to have one of Hall Payne’s personal injury lawyers discuss your specific circumstances and give you an estimated timeframe.

How much will it cost me to make a claim?

We will provide you with a free initial consultation to discuss your injury and the circumstances in which it arose. We will provide an estimate of legal costs and the likely time frames that will apply to your claim.

If we consider you have prospects of winning your case then we will represent you on a ‘no win, no fee’ basis.

Speak to one of our experts

1800 659 114

Or fill out the form below to request a callback...