Abuse Claims


If you or a family member has suffered as a result of sexual or physical abuse, within an institution, while there is no amount of money that can take it all away, you will usually have a right to claim compensation for what happened and to assist with your care needs.

In recent years, there has been a growing focus on issues related to abuse, thanks to increased awareness and the evolving legal landscape aimed at supporting survivors of abuse. This awareness has garnered significant media attention.

If you or someone you know has experienced abuse, we are here to help.

Call us for a confidential and free consultation: 1800 659 114

Some recent cases that have made headlines in Australia

At Hall Payne Lawyers, we are dedicated to assisting survivors like those featured in these news articles. If you are a victim seeking legal advice, please reach out to our team for a free consultation to ensure you understand all your rights and entitlements.

We understand that this is a difficult process for survivors of abuse. We use a trauma-informed approach to work with you through this difficult journey. We listen carefully to your story and help you understand your options and we can also work with your support network, including family, health professionals and counsellors, to ensure you are supported at all times.

Where a child is placed into the care of an organisation, that organisation has an obligation to take reasonable care to maintain the health and safety of the child. Such organisations include:

  • Schools
  • Child care centres
  • Government departments (Federal and State)
  • Non-government organisations
  • Religious organisations (including churches)
  • Military facilities

Hall Payne have a dedicated team of legal experts to take care of you and work with you in seeking compensation.

Can I claim compensation if I’ve experienced institutional abuse?

You may be entitled to receive compensation for what happened to you.

This area of law can be complex. Expert legal advice will help to identify your rights to compensation, what you can claim for, and the time frame you have to claim within.

Hall Payne are experts in institutional abuse claims. We offer a free initial consultation to discuss your needs.

Call us for a confidential and free consultation: 1800 659 114

How do I know if I have a claim for institutional abuse?

Entitlements vary from case to case. It is important to get advice from a lawyer experienced in the area of institutional abuse about your particular circumstances.

One of our expert team of lawyers will be available to discuss the specific circumstances of your case, and explore the options available to you for your specific needs.

The abuse occurred many years ago. Can I still make a claim?

Time limits applied to claims for injuries resulting from institutional abuse can vary, depending on the circumstances of each individual case. We will discuss the relevant time limits that may apply to your specific circumstances.

We offer initial consultations free of charge, and use this time to discuss your specific needs and the result you would like to achieve.

What compensation is available for institutional abuse cases?

Our expert lawyers will listen to you and work with you to get the compensation you deserve.

Every individual has a different situation. Your best course of action is to discuss with one of our lawyers, the compensation that is right for you.

Call us for a confidential and free consultation: 1800 659 114

When should I make a claim?

Hall Payne Lawyers understand that discussing your particular circumstances will be difficult however it is important for you to know your rights and the time limits which may apply and so we encourage you to make contact with one of our lawyers as soon as possible.

You can call us for a free, confidential discussion about your circumstances and options for compensation: 1800 659 144

Or you can email us at referrals@hallpayne.com.au

In your email, you simply need to provide your name, best contact number and let us know your enquiry is in relation to abuse. You do not have to provide any specific details about your circumstances. A member of our Institutional Abuse Law team will be in contact with you to discuss your enquiry further.

Speak to one of our experts

1800 659 114

Or fill out the form below to request a callback...