Verifying your identity for a PEXA e-conveyancing settlement

How to verify your identity for a PEXA e-conveyancing transaction

PEXA is Australia’s online settlement and lodgement platform for property transactions. Verifying your identity is a fundamental step in the process of conveyancing, including e-conveyancing, to avoid any fraudulent property transactions. Hall Payne Lawyers provide secure and simple options for verifying your identity.

With e-conveyancing, we are required to be highly diligent as, when we use PEXA, we are signing the transfer documents directly on your behalf; this is not possible with a standard paper settlement if you are the seller.

How do we verify your identity for a PEXA settlement?

There are three ways Hall Payne can verify your identity.

1.  Face-to-face appointments

We can verify your identity in-house via a face to face appointment at our offices.

2.  Secure digital platform with InfoTrack

You can verify your identity remotely on a secured digital platform provided by a company called InfoTrack. You do your verification by uploading scans of your passport and driver’s license and taking a picture and video of yourself.

The current fee for this service is $9.90. This service would be useful for those who are more tech-savvy and have access to a webcam. Visit the InfoTrack website here, to use this service.

3.  Australia Post

You can use Australia Post as an Identity Verifier service.

To make use of the Australia Post service, you are required to visit your local participating post office to verify your identity.

Australia Post charges for this service and as of June 2020, the cost for this service is $49, payable to Australia Post. We expect this service to be useful for clients who live remotely or do not wish to travel to the city.  

If you are purchasing a property, we can accept an original certified copy of your identity documents, certified by your local Justice of Peace.

If you are selling a property, we request you either attend our office for us to verify your identity, use the InfoTrack remote ID service or use the Australia Post service mentioned above.

What type of ID do you need?

Generally, the best forms of ID you can provide is both a passport AND an Australian driver license or proof of age card. If you have changed your name (for example, you have married) and your current ID reflects your old name, you will be required to provide suitable evidence of this such as a marriage certificate or change of name certificate.

If you do not have a valid passport, you will be required to provide either an Australian driver license or proof of age card AND a full birth certificate or citizenship certificate AND a Medicare card or Centrelink Card or DVA card. As above, you will also be required to provide change of name evidence if your current ID reflects an old name.

For a comprehensive list of the type of documents required please refer to the PEXA website.

What happens if I am travelling overseas?

If you happen to be travelling overseas, you will need to have your identity documents verified at an Australian Consular Office. This can be done by contacting the Consular Office and arranging for an appointment to have your identity witnessed.

Once this is completed, we will require you to send us a scanned copy as soon as possible. The original certified documents will need to be sent back to us by courier, which we will hold on file in the event of an audit.  

Legal advice and assistance continues during COVID-19

We continue to provide our client services during the coronavirus outbreak.  

Most of our teams have now returned to their respective offices with others remaining fully equipped to work remotely, where necessary.

You can contact us by phone or email to arrange your consultation; either face-to-face at one of our offices, by telephone or by videoconference consultation.

Phone: 1800 659 114

  This article relates to Australian law; either at a State or Federal level.

The information contained on this site is for general guidance only. No person should act or refrain from acting on the basis of such information. Appropriate professional advice should be sought based upon your particular circumstances. For further information, please do not hesitate to contact Hall Payne Lawyers.


Get in touch with today's blog writer:
Gary Su

Solicitor in Family Law, Wills & Estates, Conveyancing and Property Law

Previous Blog Post Next Blog Post